Monday, June 06, 2005

my (ahem) little secret

I've heard that confession is good for the soul, I'm hoping that confession will push me into action. Last September I joined the Knitting Guild of America and purchased level one of the Master Knitters Program. I was so naive. I really thought I was just going to knit those swatches and send them in and move on to level two and it would all be easy because I've been knitting for a long time and I was pretty knowledgeable, and boy was I wrong.

When I got the instructions I started knitting those swatches. After number three I started looking at my knitting in a whole new way, and noticing that maybe I wasn't as knowledgeable as I thought. My cast ons were too loose, my stockinette stitch was not even enough. And then those questions! I was intimidated. I put my instructions away.

After reading posts from lots of other folks working on their Masters I realized I don't have to be an expert. The masters program is an "educational" program. I will learn as I go how to improve my knitting, that's the whole point. So I am knitting swatches again, with a new attitude. I have learned some new cast on techniques and that's just the beginning.

This is a photo of some of the swatches I have knitted so far, all wagging their little tails which are not woven in because I am consulting various reference books regarding the best technique for dealing with those awkward little buggers.